Welcome

Hello! My name is Shannon Taylor. I'm a long-time writer and editor from Minnesota surprised to find myself on an island in the Pacific Northwest with my husband, three younger children (the oldest is attending college in Chicago), and two dogs.

Featured Posts

Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
+ Robert Fulghum

Site search

Winter Fun

Sun Dogs

sundog

We woke up to this beautiful sight out our front windows this morning. Known officially as “parhelia,” sun dogs are the wintery version of rainbows, with ice crystals instead of water droplets refracting and reflecting the light.

Sun Dog 2

Tim calls this one Sunrise on Tattooine:

sunrise_on_tatooine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Joan says:

Great photos! I was driving in the countryside near Red Wing in mid-December and witnessed the best and brightest sun dogs I’ve ever seen. Isn’t nature grand?

1. Shannon says:

Yes, it is! Whenever I see something like sun dogs (or fireflies, shooting stars, etc.) I always wonder what people living hundreds of years ago thought. :0

2. JP Wenger says:

Just lovely! Reminds me of a few years living in Grand Forks, ND where they (sun dogs, not trees) were a frequent sight.

1. Shannon says:

You’re an amazing photographer, J.P., so that means a lot coming from you! It seems like the sun dogs are appearing more and more at this latitude, doesn’t it?

3. Just gorgeous. Your photos are amazing, especially love the first one. I have seen sun dogs for the past few days after work, but none like that where you see the entire circle.

1. Shannon says:

Thanks, Grace! Photography is not my strong suit, so it’s always exciting when a photo actually captures what I’m hoping it will! I imagine you get a lot of sun dogs up in Toronto. I feel like we’re seeing a lot more than usual this year….

4. Marilyn says:

How lovely! I’ve never heard that phrase before. Color me informed. 🙂

5. Mary Stoltman says:

Wow, that is incredibly beautiful, I don’t think I’ve seen one and I’ve lived a long time!