Select Featured Posts

Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
+ Robert Fulghum

Site search

Winter Fun

Archive for 'Community'

Can We Talk? / Parenting Taboos

I saw this video about parenting taboos by Babble co-founders (and husband and wife) Rufus Griscom and Alisa Volkman on Little Monster. Rufus and Alisa are wonderfully honest and made me laugh—especially when Rufus couldn’t identify his own eight-week-old son in a photo line-up. (If we’re being truthful here, I’m pretty sure Tim couldn’t have […]

-->

Creative + Life / Being the Bird

{ image }
Years ago when Will was just a baby, I edited a workbook for The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. The writer, Gia, had laid a wonderful foundation and I was able to add another layer, pulling more symbolism and meaning from the story. Kids would have a deeper understanding of what The Bean […]

-->

Crafting Party / Valentine’s Day Edition

{ Treasure Jars. }
The girls and I recently attended a Valentine’s Day Crafting Party at our friends’ home. Our hostess and her three girls explained in the Evite invitation that they would have stations set up around the house where we could make Valentine-themed crafts. All we needed to bring was our creativity and an […]

-->

Chinese New Year Parties / Planning Phase

{ image }
Whew! This was another one of those busy-literally-every-minute days. They’re not my favorite, but at least I get to check Annual Physical off my list. (Am I the only one who would rather visit the dentist than have a routine check-up?)
Next on the agenda are the Chinese New Year parties we’re hosting for […]

-->

Grace Notes

I don’t know about you, but when I’m sad or stressed I can’t think straight. I envy people like my husband who can compartmentalize their feelings and focus on work or whatever needs to be done. I flit from thing to thing and my thoughts are all over the place.
So I have to warn you […]

-->

Making Wells / A Reason to Blog

{ Nita Jatar Kulkarni }
Years ago I read a story in Sojourners magazine about a woman from a small village in Africa who was visiting a big city in America. She was baffled by indoor plumbing and asked where the town’s well was. Her host explained that the city didn’t have a well and that […]

-->

Cookie Extreme 2011 / Cornflake Cookies

Are there words to describe the joy of being surrounded by friends, family, and thousands and thousands of delicious little cookies and candies? I don’t think there are. Actually, that’s not true. A friend’s four-year-old son calls this annual gathering “Cookie Extreme.” He’s got it right.
As if the edible treats weren’t enough, we had a […]

-->

Free Thanksgiving Printables

Paperglitter is offering an entire party’s worth of free Thanksgiving printables. You can find placemats and other goodies for the kids’ table, plus everything from napkin rings to banners if you want to liven up your festivities. The coolest part is that you can change the wording on a bunch of the printables so you […]

-->

Peanut Butter Pie for Mikey (and Tim)

It was a year ago this Labor Day weekend that Tim had his mountain biking accident. As the anniversary date approached, I wondered what in the world I could write that would express what this year has been like. I could write about how you can get through just about anything if you really have […]

-->

A Couple of Hours in Stillwater, MN

It was my turn to drive the drama camp carpool to Hudson so, with three hours to spend until pick-up time, the younger two and I headed up to Stillwater. Stillwater is a beautiful little town nestled on the St. Croix River about an hour north of Prescott (where we live). Main Street is lined […]

-->

Featuring Recent Posts WordPress Widget development by YD